Jets Insider.com Forums

Thread: Draft profile: S Mark Barron

Jets Insider VIP

Draft profile: S Mark Barron

Over the next 13 days, right up until draft day, we'll examine players the Jets could select, focusing primarily on the first round (16th overall).

Player: Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Height/weight: 6-foot-1, 215 pounds

Scouts, Inc. ranking: 11

Draft projection: First round (14th to 20th)

Scouting report: Barron is the best safety in a weak class of safeties -- and that's not meant as an backhanded compliment. He's the complete package -- good size, sound tackler, solid in pass coverage, instinctive, strong leader, and we could go on. One scout told me, "He's a big hitter, but he can run and cover, too." Barron is a natural strong safety, although he said he played free safety his senior year. The Jets just signed a strong safety in LaRon Landry, but that shouldn't have a big impact on Barron's draft value. The safeties are interchangeable in the Jets' scheme. He has the ability to cover tight ends, a bugaboo for the Jets, and some receivers, if necessary. He ran a 4.56 at his recent pro day -- only two months after surgery to repair a sports hernia. He has the ability and smarts to be a Day 1 starter. The Cowboys (14th) and Eagles (15th) are reportedly hot for Barron, so he may not be available for the Jets.

Key stat: In 39 career starts at Alabama, Barron recorded 12 interceptions.

Red flags: In March, 2011, Barron was arrested for second-degree hindering prosecution, a misdemeanor. At the time, Barron told a Mobile Police Department officer his car, which was found crashed, had been taken without permission by a man Barron said he knew only as ''Bull.'' The officer determined the person was Barron's cousin. Barron was released an hour after his arrest after posting a $500 bond.

In his own words: "We played in a very difficult defense, first of all. We did a lot of different schemes. As far as communicating, I had a lot to do with that on the back end. I feel like sometimes I brought some energy with the hits that I made and things of that nature. So, I did a lot of different things."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

I read one article on Barron from ESPN Dallas and it was saying how Barron is a LB playing safety and hes extremely stiff in coverage and is only a in the box safety. lol

The part about his smarts and playing in a defense where he played multiple spots and had to use his smarts and instincts is what intrigues me. In our defense its a lot of communicating as the safeties play multiple spots and have to be smart and instinctive.

Barron is really nothing great. Allen and Smith could both go before him. It is a poor S class and really no one is the easy best player at the position.

I wouldn't be upset if the Jets chose Barron at 16

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barron is really nothing great. Allen and Smith could both go before him. It is a poor S class and really no one is the easy best player at the position.
    Are you serious? Barron is easily the top safety in this draft and there is noway hes not the first safety taken. If hes not I would be SHOCKED.