Jets Insider.com Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Jets Trade Partner In The First Round

I think dumb is incorrect....Getting Barron, if any other team, would be smart to trade up. However, in the case of the Jets, not so. The years of trading up to get a specific guy has worked in cases like Harris, Revis, Keller, Greene, and to a degree Sanchez. But it has KILLED us in depth. One, because of the lost picks, but two, all these guys, plus when you add in Mangold, Ferguson, Cro, etc...are being payed TOP dollar. You simply cannot have three quarters of your payroll going to fifteen odd guys, and be able to develop any kind of depth. The Jets almost have too much talent in some areas, which is costing boatloads of money...then, if they have bad games, or worse, get injured, we are screwed.

I still think if there is any chance of trading down, they should do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I think dumb is incorrect....Getting Barron, if any other team, would be smart to trade up. However, in the case of the Jets, not so. The years of trading up to get a specific guy has worked in cases like Harris, Revis, Keller, Greene, and to a degree Sanchez. But it has KILLED us in depth. One, because of the lost picks, but two, all these guys, plus when you add in Mangold, Ferguson, Cro, etc...are being payed TOP dollar. You simply cannot have three quarters of your payroll going to fifteen odd guys, and be able to develop any kind of depth. The Jets almost have too much talent in some areas, which is costing boatloads of money...then, if they have bad games, or worse, get injured, we are screwed.

I still think if there is any chance of trading down, they should do so.
    Sooooo, you're agreeing that it's dumb then for the Jets to trade up for a Safety.

In that particular mock scenario Leon put out, I take Fletcher Cox and run away screaming "No Backsies". I don't even care that he doesn't fill a need like Reiff would. I think he's clearly a top 5-10 talent and easily BAP.

That's what I said....

The Jets have traded up too many years now, and it has cost them depth at many positions. They need to either start going with a BP mentality, or moving down to obtain more picks for awhile. Getting enamored with one particular player is fine, if you don't do it multiple times over multiple seasons.

How about trading up to #6 with the Rams? What if Minnesota takes Claiborne or trades down? Kalil could then slip to #6. They might also trade up to jump in front of Jacksonville for Melvin Ingram.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think you are going to see the Jets trade up, using next year's 1st as bait. If the theory of Rex and Tanny being on the hot seat this year, which is probably correct, then they'll have no problem trading next year's 1st as they might not be around anyway. They'll want to keep this year's picks to try and hit a HR in this draft and keep their jobs, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I think you are going to see the Jets trade up, using next year's 1st as bait. If the theory of Rex and Tanny being on the hot seat this year, which is probably correct, then they'll have no problem trading next year's 1st as they might not be around anyway. They'll want to keep this year's picks to try and hit a HR in this draft and keep their jobs, IMO.
    Plus I'm sure rex is expecting to be picking 32nd next year anyway

There are no home runs in this draft in the areas the jets are weak except perhaps richardson. We don't need a QB, or LT, or CB. A Wr is important but not essential and probably not someone that will turn the tide this year. I don't think they are on thin ice at all if you ask me and the thing that hurt the Jets last year was lack of quality depth as much as hitting a home run. The fact that we had no legit backup center when mangold got hurt (Turner was injured very early on) and we had no legit backup when our safeties blew chunks and the fact that we had no legit RT when our starter should have been replaced was what hurt the team the most.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    There are no home runs in this draft in the areas the jets are weak except perhaps richardson. We don't need a QB, or LT, or CB. A Wr is important but not essential and probably not someone that will turn the tide this year. I don't think they are on thin ice at all if you ask me and the thing that hurt the Jets last year was lack of quality depth as much as hitting a home run. The fact that we had no legit backup center when mangold got hurt (Turner was injured very early on) and we had no legit backup when our safeties blew chunks and the fact that we had no legit RT when our starter should have been replaced was what hurt the team the most.
    Ingram. It doesn't seem to be a secret that the Jets love him and 99% sure he doesn't make it to us at 16.

I'm not even sure I want them to trade up, it's just the gut feeling I get. And if we do trade up, I reckon it's for next year's 1st.

Ingram. It doesn't seem to be a secret that the Jets love him and 99% sure he doesn't make it to us at 16.

I'm not even sure I want them to trade up, it's just the gut feeling I get. And if we do trade up, I reckon it's for next year's 1st.
    Even he has flaws, short arms, not a big guy. Good team he played on, good production, nice workouts but he is not a slam dunk physically in my opinion. I like Ingram, I like Richardson, I like Barron, I like Floyd.....I wouldn't trade up for any of them.