Posted a little later than initially desired, this weeks live wire still contains a lot of insider news. Additional names to be added to the list of underclassmen considering the draft, another name for the Senior Bowl roster and plenty of scouts-speak from the west coast.
– We’ve received more confirmation that Miami Hurricane cornerback Brandon Harris is likely to enter the draft. Sources have put it better than 80% at this point.
– Another defensive back playing in the state of Florida we once again hear is strongly considering the draft is Gators safety Will Hill.
– USC Trojan offensive tackle Tyron Smith is leaning towards entering the draft at this point, according to sources.
– Another Pac Ten tackle that will explore his draft options once the season ends is Cal’s Mitchell Schwartz.
– Staying on the west coast, Chris Carter of Fresno State is swiftly moving up draft boards. In fact former NFL safety Rich Miano, presently associate head coach at Hawaii where he is also the pro-liaison, has said Carter is the best defensive player in the WAC and rates him higher than Nevada’s Dontay Moch.
– Speaking of Dontay Moch, numerous west coast scouts have told us the senior is overrated and being over-hyped because of his forty time. Phrases like “one-trick pony” have entered the conversation when analyzing Moch.
– Several teams are very high on BYU tackle Matt Reynolds, whom we told you last month will enter the draft. In fact according to one league decision maker Reynolds could sneak into the early part of round two.
– Add Troy State receiver Jerrel Jernigan to the growing list of players that will be receiving an invitation to the Senior Bowl.
We will have more on Carter, Moch and Reynolds during our podcast this week!
In what could be the weekend which thins the challengers for the national title, a half dozen undefeated teams put their records on the line tomorrow. There are a bunch of great match-ups staring 12-noon, which will see top rated pro-prospects go face-to-face.
Miami-Fl vs Virginia
Cornerback Ras-I Dowling, who has struggled with hamstring and knee injuries that has sidelined him part of the year, is as healthy as he’s been all season. He better be as he’ll face the Hurricanes Leonard Hankerson, one of the fastest rising receivers in the nation.
Clemson vs Boston College
We’ve mentioned the challenges faced by offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo a number of times this season. The biggest one of the season comes tomorrow. Though not consistent, Da’Quan Bowers shows the ability to be a disruptive force and has exploited just about every blind side protector he’s faced this season. Castonzo on the other hand has struggled at times facing speed rushers. Bowers, who lost 25-pounds prior to the season, is headed for the draft next year. This can be a statement game for either player.
Missouri vs Nebraska
The Blackshirts secondary received rave reviews from this site since July. They’ve been terrific but did show a human nature last week against Oklahoma State as Justin Blackmon sliced them up. Can Mizzou signal caller Blaine Gabbert do the same? We’ve been critical of Gabbert at times but he has shown some improvement this season. This will be a huge test and if he plays well and it will be big for Gabbert and the program.
The Halloween edition of TFY’s Draft Podcast will scare you with how much information is provided, particularly with underclassmen already considering NFL career paths.
Insider information on the early draft deicisons of top-rated players such as Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, Aaron Williams, Kyle Rudolph and more are discussed by Host Brent Sobleski and Tony Pauline.
Listen as segments such as Taking Stock, What scouts are saying…, and a Weekend Preview are provided, as well as Tony stumping SOBO at one point in the show.
After partaking in the podcast, all conversation can be directed to the site’s FORUMS.
If any questions or comments persist, the show can be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tune in next week. Same Draft Insider time. Same Draft Insider channel.