- Since the combine I’ve reported the New York Jets hope to come out of the draft’s first two days with a quarterback. In conversations today I am told they will consider one of the signal callers with an early choice. As it was told to me, the team does not expect to win next year so they can just as easily lose with their quarterback of the future underneath center in 2013. More specifically the Jets front office and new general manager John Idzik, “fear missing on one of the quarterbacks in this draft”.
- Sio Moore/LB/UConn continues to draw a lot of interest around the league. Teams love the fact he’s scheme diverse and offers possibilities at a number of linebacker spots. The Baltimore Ravens are one team showing great interest in Moore.
- Building upon on news we posted yesterday, sources tell me if either of the top two tackles are available when they Oakland Raiders are called to the clock the team will considering flipping picks with the Detroit Lions. The Lions will select the remaining tackle while the Raiders will take Shariff Floyd/Florida or Star Lotulelei/Utah at five.
- I continue to hear the Atlanta Falcons have intense interest in Jamar Taylor/CB/Boise State. Pencil him in for the 30th pick of the draft if the Falcons don’t make a move or have a big time pass rusher fall into their lap.
- I’m told Mark Harrison/WR/Rutgers could be selected much earlier than people expect. Harrison silently turned in one of the best workouts of any receiver at the combine. Measuring slightly under 6-feet, 3-inches and tipping the scale at 231-pounds, Harrison posted an official hand time of 4.37-seconds in the forty as well as a vertical jump of 38.5-inches. He also had the longest arm length of any receiver at the combine, 35-inches. Just prior to the Rutgers pro-day last month Harrison broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot yet is expected to be 100% by the middle of May. Who’s showing the most interest in Harrison? The Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers have all had recent contact with Harrison. The New York Jets have also been poking around the big receiver. Its not out of the question the Niners could use a late third or fourth round choice to acquire the big bodied wide out.
- After our report on Cornellius Carradine/Florida State yesterday we did some further digging. Scouts at the workout were not only impressed by the results of Carradine’s workout on Saturday but also the fact he looked so good just 135 days after knee surgery.