Big news on tap for tonight, especially from the quarterback position where players are swiftly moving up draft boards and dropping down. What are the Dallas Cowboys thinking? And what will the Jacksonville Jaguars do in round two? We’ve got it all tonight.
– Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is taking a big tumble down draft boards. The reasons are simple; the issues which surround his character and more to the point, Mallett’s personality, are worrisome. One source called Mallett “this year’s Dez Bryant.” The reference was that Bryant was close to tumbling out of round one last April but was saved by the Dallas Cowboys. Mallett may not be so lucky next month. The issues at hand date back to his time in Michigan, something we’ve spoken about time and time again in radio interviews.
– The beneficiary of Mallett’s tumble is likely to be Andy Dalton of TCU. The quarterback is being compared by many to Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers. It’s not an opinion we share yet it is one that’s gathering momentum. The belief from insiders is Dalton will be off the board by the 40th pick of the draft.
– One team that would love a chance to select Dalton in round two are the Jacksonville Jaguars, but he’s unlikely to be available when the team is on the board with the 49th selection. So which way do they go? Sources have told us they will look for a bigger, possession receiver to pair with Mike Thomas, who they think can be their version of former All Pro Steve Smith.
– On the other hand Washington’s Jake Locker is all over the boards from our conversations. Some prefer Locker over Cam Newton based on his body of work while others say they have not given him a first round grade.
– Where will the Dallas Cowboys go in round one? Evidently the team is not in love with Prince Amukamara and won’t use the 9th selection on him. This on the heels of sources telling us the team will cut veteran Terence Newman. All signs continue to point to an offensive tackle, specifically one that can play the right side. Sources told us the team will cut Marc Columbo and Leonard Davis. They hope to bring Davis back at a smaller salary. At the same time they hope to resign Doug Free and Kyle Kosier. Dallas then plans to shop the 9th pick and trade down to grab their right tackle. Sources have told us their is already a plan in place with a team that holds a mid-first round pick if either Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton are still on the board when Dallas is called to the clock. Right now sources have told us Gabe Carimi sits atop their wish list as they feel he is the only player they feel can quickly move into the starting line-up. Tyron Smith can’t be far behind as the Cowboys are bringing the USC junior in for a visit.
– Tyron Smith is set for a big performance at USC pro-day this week. We heard he tipped the scale at 315-pounds last week and ran 1.70s in a ten yard split. The only offensive lineman to match that time at the combine was Jason Kelce of Cincinnati.
– We understand the San Diego Chargers will be looking at OLB/RT/WR/CB with their early selections. If that holds true this is not good news for former first round pick Larry English, who was on the sidelines with a foot injury part of ’10. Sources told us Ryan Kerrigan is high on the team’s wish list. San Diego will also bring Danny Watkins/OL/Baylor in for a visit.
– Add the Washington Redskins to the list of teams that are bringing Watkins in for an official visit.
– The Miami Dolphins hope to come out of the draft with a playmaking tight end. They are interested in DJ Williams and are bringing in Julius Thomas for a visit. Thomas will also be visiting with the Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos.
– As we have posted on twitter the past few days; Matt Murphy/OL/UNLV was worked out on campus by the Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills. Receiver Andre Holmes of Hillsdale has a visit scheduled with the Dallas Cowboys and workout with the New England Patriots.