Tonight- more on Jimmy Smith and an update on another Big 12 star. Ryan Kerrigan moving up draft boards and Muhammad Wilkerson ready to move around the country and visit a few franchises. This and much more.
- Last week we posted that sources had told us several teams removed Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith from their draft boards due to character concerns. Over the weekend separate, independent sources again confirmed this. That said we’ve also been alerted that the Seattle Seahawks still highly rate the cornerback and would consider taking him in round one.
- Today Muhammad Wilkerson told us teams have spoken with him about playing defensive tackle, defensive end and being used as a two-gap end at the next level- just about all the defensive line positions except nose tackle. Insiders told us if the draft were held today smart money is on the New Orleans Saints selecting the talented prospect. We posted earlier today on twitter that Wilkerson has upcoming workouts with the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens. We can also tell you he will be visiting the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings.
- In our Friday insider report we mentioned Taiwan Jones has a date of April 14th set to workout for scouts. Before that he will be visiting the Miami Dolphins and has a meeting set with the Arizona Cardinals.
- What to do with Jeremy Beal, that is the question. The Oklahoma Sooner sack master has fallen down draft boards after not being able to run under 5.1s at the combine then standing on that mark at his pro-day. Sources have told us teams are considering using Beal as a mike linebacker at the next level.
- Several teams feel the same about Iowa’s Karl Klug, but for different reasons. The intense defensive lineman ran in the 4.7’s at 275 pounds during today’s pro-day. Rather than put him on the defensive line, where he played in college, a number of squads around the league project Klug as a Mike Vrabel type of defender in the NFL.
- Many believe the fastest riser on the defensive line right now is Ryan Kerrigan, who drew a huge crowd to the Purdue pro-day. Sources told us Kerrigan could break into the top 15 selections next month.
- Boise State safety Jeron Johnson will be working out with the St Louis Rams and visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Keep offensive lineman Derek Newton of Arkansas State on the list of potential risers. Chicago Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice ran his pro-day workout last week, which was attended by the Carolina Panthers, New York Giants, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans and St Louis Rams. There’s some thought teams may move the college tackle into guard. We feel he’s best as a strong side tackle. The Miami Dolphins may think otherwise as they have a dire need at guard and will be bringing Newton to town for a visit.