Pro-days kick into high gear today as a number of highly rated prospects work out for scouts, coaches and general managers. Its a huge day at the quarterback position as Cam Newton is expected to throw for scouts as is Ryan Mallett. We will keep you updated with results all day. Update 8:30PM: Big Ten & the Bronx!
Some bits and pieces coming in late.
– Minnesota quarterback Adam Webber had a sensational athletic workout. Webber ran his forty in 4.71 seconds and posted a vertical jump of 39-inches. Evidently he also threw the ball very well.
– At Northwestern, underrated linebacker Quentin Davie ran 4.68s/4.70s after measuring 6-feet, 4-inches and 232 pounds. He posted a vertical jump of 35-inches and broad of 9-feet, 7-inches.
– Brotherly love took center stage at Fordham where Arizona Cardinals quarterback Jon Skelton came to the Bronx to be the practice passer for his brother, tight end Stephen Skelton in front of 18 teams. The pass catcher measured 6-feet, 4.5-inches, 253-pounds and ran 4.67s/4.70s in the forty. His vertical jump of 33-inches is also worth noting. Sources said Skelton caught the ball well.
– Fordham Safety Isa Abdul Quddus ran incredibly well, timing anywhere from 4.32s/4.41s in both his runnings. His vertical jump was also a solid 35.5 inches.
– The athletic star of the day at Fordham was Yale defensive end Tom McCarthy. McCarthy, an all-Ivy league player who played in eight games last season posting 31 tackles and three sacks, measured 6-feet, 5-inches, 265 pounds. His numbers included forty times of 4.65s/4.66s, a vertical jump of 35-inches and broad of 10-feet, 5-inches besides 19 reps on the bench. His playing weight of 248-pound was almost 20-lighter than he tipped the scales today. Needless to say McCarthy has jumped on the radar screen as a developmental prospect.
Korey Lindsey ran a pair of forty’s in the low 4.5-second area at the Northwestern pro-day before hurting his hamstring and pulling out of the workout. He plans on participating in the Southern Illinois pro-day on March 24th.
DJ Williams weighed in 6-pounds heavier today then decided not to run the forty. No definitive reason was given to us from the Williams camp.
As we wrote on twitter yesterday quarterback Ryan Mallett is planning to throw for scouts again today after his sensational combine passing workout. Sources from his camp told us yesterday Mallett will also “probably” run the forty. This morning we learned DJ Williams will again run the forty. Williams combine times included a best of 4.59s hand timed and 4.68s electronic according to official results.
The workout in Norman is almost complete and it looks like another slow day for Jeremy Beal, who is taking part in position drills. Beal looked very sluggish in the 20-shuttle and three cone and shows no burst in the drills.
On the other hand offensive tackle Cory Brandon has shown some power and explosion all day, especially in position drills. Brandon was rated as a potential late round choice coming into the season. After starting seven games as a junior in ’09 Brandon moved to third team this year. He was in the doghouse after missing voluntary workouts over the summer and barely saw the playing field. Still, Brandon has the tools to work with and is a potential developmental prospect.
We have a close eye on the Northwestern pro-day. Not are we waiting to see how N’Western linebacker Quentin Davie fares, but Southern Illinois cornerback Korey Lindsey is also participating in the workout.