Friday is the final day for underclassmen to declare for April’s draft and we seem to be in a holding pattern. There are just bits and pieces of info coming through on who may enter the draft and who will not- and we’ve got it for you. Also- we tell you what insiders are saying about Jake Locker’s decision, plus much more.
– One player that struggled with his decision whether or not to turn pro was Wisconsin center John Moffitt. Sources have told us the Badger junior has decided to return to school. The final decision rested on his injured shoulder, which Moffitt feels will throw up red flags and push him out of the draft’s seven rounds.
– Sources have told us CJ Gable of USC is presently entertaining thoughts about entering the draft. The recent upheaval with the Trojans coaching staff plus rumors of pending investigations are factors. Most think in the end Gable must return to USC as he will be the team’s primary ball carrier this season.
– Additional sources have told us that while Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis grades out as a top eight pick based on physical talent, his reputation for not being a hard worker could push him into the middle of round one.
– One player we’ve been really intrigued with after breaking him down on film is Jason Worilds of Virginia Tech. Some are saying the junior had a disappointing season based on his total of 4.5 sacks but we disagree. His ability to explode off the edge and get pressure up the field constantly made opposing quarterbacks uncomfortable and knocked them out of rhythm. Evidence of this is Worilds total of 32 quarterback hurries, a tremendous number. Factor in the Hokie defense often ran zone blitzes and Worilds did an admirable job dropping into pass coverage. One concern we had was his height/weight. Sources have told us Worilds recently measured 6-feet, 1.5-inches and 248 pounds in Florida where’s he training for the combine. The comparisons to former Florida State star Everette Brown are inevitable.
– With labor unrest looming in the NFL and a stricter rookie salary cap on the horizon, one that will tighten the purse strings on the draft’s top picks, some are questioning Jake Locker’s decision not to enter the draft as they feel it makes little sense from an economic standpoint. Those we’ve spoken with say once an agreement between the league and the NFLPA is hashed out there’s a good chance players selected in the draft’s initial five selections will get hit the hardest. One insider says if Locker is a top five pick in 2011 his contract could be almost 50% less then were he to enter this year’s draft and be selected in the top five choices.
– Last week TFY Draft posted the invitations that have gone out to seniors around the country for the 2010 combine. Our present count has 256 invitations being sent out with some notable exclusions. Usually at this point in time the combine has sent out 300 invitations and save approximately 35 for the declared underclassmen. Last year 47 underclassmen received invitations to the combine, or just about 80% of the 62 underclassmen that declared for the 2009 draft. This means at this point in time the combine withheld 75-77 invitations (usually 332 prospects attend) for the 2010 combine as they expect a record number of underclassmen to enter the draft. We still expect many of the more notable seniors who were left off the initial combine list (Robert Johnson/S/Utah, Jeffrey Fitzgerald/DL/Kansas State, Reggie Stephens/OL/Iowa State) to eventually receive an invitation to Indianapolis.
– We are proud to say that for the first time ever TFY Draft will be live at Shrine Game practices beginning next Tuesday, January 19th. Expect full coverage from Orlando as we will post reports daily as well as twitter from the field!