A new feature for TFY Draft Preview; a weekly live wire to bring you updated news from the world of college football and, once and a while, the NFL. We’ll update this daily as we speak with our sources around the nation about the goings on in the scouting world.
– Sources have told us that federal investigators are also part of the recent NCAA probes which center on almost a half dozen schools. The sources told us it is a felony crime in certain states to give student athletes gifts or cash, the primary reason while the feds are involved.
– When will the 2011 NFL Draft take place? Most think the annual selection process will hold its place on the calendar in late April. Yet we’ve heard from more than a few sources who say the league could push up the draft anywhere from several weeks to a month, depending on what happens with the labor unrest in the NFL. We will have more details in our weekly podcast Wednesday evening.
– The recent NCAA investigations coupled with the potential lockout is likely to reverse the recent trend which saw large numbers of underclassmen entering the draft. Sources have told us the potential of no paychecks forthcoming in any form (workout bonuses, etc) will lessen the attractiveness of the NFL for players with college eligibility remaining. Sources have said players are being advised at this early stage not to enter the draft unless they are top 45 material.
– Scouts coming out of the west coast say receiver Ronald Johnson is likely to be a fast riser in next April’s draft. Scouts like his reliability and size and there is even talk Johnson could slide into the first round.
– The other player on the USC roster scouts have become enamored with is junior defensive tackle Jurell Casey. And though they do not speak about the underclassman openly, those who’ve commented on Casey feel his is first round material.
– Sources have told us the Denver Broncos are the frontrunners to sign outside linebacker Pierre Woods, cut by the Patriots after spending five years with the organization.