Draft day has finally arrived- at least the first of three days of drafting. From now through Saturday we will be keeping you up to date on the potential moves and picks over the course of the draft’s seven rounds, including which players teams are calling, followed by UDFA signings Saturday night into Sunday morning. Make sure to check back regularly. We start with notes this morning. Update- Ricky Sapp Rising?
Update 7:10 PM
Sources have told us this evening that Ricky Sapp has been a fast riser up draft boards. Both the New York Jets and New England Patriots both grade the Clemson defender as a first rounder and will consider him late in the frame.
- Much of the news surrounding the New York Giants has been the possibility of the team selecting CJ Spiller if the running back is still available at pick 15. We can also tell you sources close to the situation told us last night the organization is also very interested in Fresno State’s Ryan Mathews and feel he is a better fit for the offense. A more likely scenario has the Giants trading up anywhere to slots 10-to-14 and selecting Rolando McClain, linebacker, Alabama. Sources have told us a very likely trade partner are the Denver Broncos who would move back then draft Maurkice Pouncey of Florida.
- We’ve not been of the opinion that Linval Joseph is worth a first round pick but sources have told us if Ryan Mathews is off the board when the San Diego Chargers are on the clock at pick 28 and there are no cornerbacks that really impress them, it is likely the team will turn to Joseph to fill a need on the defensive line.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars are desperately looking to trade down then pick up some extra selections. Some feel they may turn their attention toward Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick if they are able to pull off a trade while others say Tyson Alualu of Cal could be the pick. It is highly unlikely they tap Odrick for the selection as sources inside the organization have told us the Jaguars view him almost solely as a 3-4 defensive end. One player the team loves is Odrick’s teammate, linebacker Sean Lee. There is a possibility the Jaguars could grab Lee late in round one if they swing a deal. If they can’t move the pick expect the Jaguars to take the best available defensive end, Derrick Morgan of Georgia Tech if available or Brandon Graham. The team will also consider safety, Earl Thomas of Texas.
- One player the Kansas City Chiefs have grown to like is Jason Pierre-Paul. Obviously the only way the South Florida defensive end becomes an option is if the team trades down.
- We have a further update on USC cornerback Kevin Thomas from yesterday’s notes. The medical condition that has red flagged him is a shoulder injury and as a result teams have taken Thomas off their boards completely or downgraded him at least a full round.
- Specialist Dexter McCluster will not make it out of round two. A pair of AFC East teams are interested in the Ole Miss skill player starting with the New England Patriots, who’ll consider using one of their picks in the second frame on McCluster. The New York Jets are the other franchise high on McCluster. Problem is the Jets would have to move up in order to acquire McCluster. Would the team be inclined to do as much? Some believe the answer is yes. Despite getting Leon Washington’s signature on a tender just last week people we spoke with said the Jets are apt to trade Washington if the right deal comes their way. At this point the team is seemingly unwilling to give Washington the contract he’ll want in the future.